Saturday, November 22, 2014

Stage Mom Status

I'm definitely a stage mom now! Guilty as charged!

So we attended a parent-teacher conference and I dragged my husband to come, and Roand, because I had a secret agenda in mind. They didn't have to come but I insisted. The mister and I had a twenty minute talk with Roand's teacher while Roand was busy at their mini-library in their classroom. So first, we were going over Roand's report card and grades and his performance at school. It was like the teacher was describing a totally different kid! I know that he behaves well at school, I know because every time I drop him off to school and the teacher isn't around yet, he is his usual self. Either he's running around, or jumping or talking nonstop. And no matter how many times I tell him to stay put and stay in line or not to swing his lunchbox around or to stop running, he wouldn't listen. But once he sees his teacher, he transforms into this well-behaved kid, who stays in line and is waiting for instructions. At least I know that he knows he's supposed to listen to his teacher. But what surprised me was when the teacher told us how attentive and alert Roand is when it comes to following instructions. At home, Roand has this tendency to zone me out sometimes when he's busy with something, it's like he couldn't hear me at all. But at school, teacher said he is very attentive even when the teacher isn't talking to him directly. Like when the teacher asked somebody to stop wiggling around and to sit down in "pretzel" position on the carpet, Roand actually listened too and corrects himself and does what he's supposed to do without being told. I actually couldn't believe what I was hearing. Teacher also said that he has the right kind of assertiveness, not aggressive, nor is he passive. Like during choice time and he was the first one to get a certain toy and somebody wants it, he firmly says "I got it first." Not aggressively, but just with the right amount of assertiveness, which is a good thing, the teacher commented. He knows how to handle conflicts and compromise and if he can't resolve it himself, he lets the teacher know. She also asked if Roand attended preschool and I said he didn't. She was a bit surprised and congratulated me for whatever we were doing at home, because it shows at school. Just imagine how my heart is welling up with all that I was hearing. Husband was feeling really proud of Roand too. So I guess, we were both doing something right after all. There is of course, a lot to improve, but teacher reassured us that there is nothing to worry about because Roand is right on track and is where he is supposed to be, and is quite advanced in some areas even. As teacher was wrapping up the meeting, I put my "agenda" into action. She asked if we have any questions and I "casually" asked about Roand's performance during Career Presentation. She said Roand did a great job and that he had the most adorable costume ever. About the Career Presentation which was last month, Roand's class was assigned different jobs to portray and talk about in front of the whole class, and Roand was assigned to be a reporter. They were supposed to explain their job and what tools they use and what clothes/uniform they wear so props and costumes are welcome. Well of course, I had to make him a costume and a mic to go with it, complete with their school logo. I still have leftover felt from making his Jake the Pirate costume enough to make a vest. Then we found a tutorial on youtube on how to make a mic prop.










Aside from the costume, I also prepared a line for Roand to say. And to help him memorize it, I recorded a video that he can watch again and again until he remembers all the words. He remembers most of the words after watching it one time actually but I had to guide him and say the first words to every sentence before he could continue. I knew he can do it because I can see he was interested in memorizing his line. So we got to work. We would say it together during mealtime, while I'm giving him a bath and before going to sleep. After a day, he remembers all the words and even recorded himself saying his line. I knew he was ready. So when Career Day finally came, I asked him one more time to say his line in his costume and he did a great job. I was confident he'd be awesome... (stage mom right there, yep!). After school, I asked him how it went, and he said, teacher told him he did a great job and everybody gave him a round of applause. I pressed in and asked if teacher said anything else and he said no. I had this hunch that he didn't say his line the way we practiced it so I asked him exactly what he said in front of the class and he goes "My job is a 'reporter' and one of my tools is a pen." Needless to say, that isn't what we prepared and just imagine the stage mom in me very disappointed. I asked him why didn't he say what we practiced and he goes "But Nanay, that is what everybody else did! Say your job and one tool, that's it!" I had to calm myself but couldn't help but get into a But Roand - But Nanay argument. I had to remind myself that I might be causing more harm than good because I was showing how disappointed I was before I could calm myself down and decided to let it go. But clearly, I wasn't able to let it go because when I learned about the parent-teacher conference, I knew I had to let the teacher hear Roand's line, which he still remembers after all this time. So back to the meeting, again, I casually said "Oh because we actually prepared a line for that but Roand said he didn't use it..." And then she asked Roand if he still remembers his line and he nodded. With his teacher prompting him to say it, without hesitation, he delivered his whole line, I was smiling the whole time. And when Roand was done, his teacher exclaimed how he just made her day and that it was awesome and that he should do that in front of the class next time and show Ms. Barth, the other teacher. She said we should let him participate in a school play or a community play if there was one because he was good at memorizing a long line. She had more to say but I'll stop myself here before I sound like a bragging mom, but really, I was very proud of Roand. Mission accomplished! Stage mom status achieved..! 


No comments:

Post a Comment